|Natural Resources Conservation History|
WINDHAM COUNTY Natural Resources Conservation District
The History of Conservation Districts began in 1935, following the dust bowl period of the Midwest, Congress ordered the establishment of the Soil Conservation Service (SCS) within the Department of Agriculture (USDA). It required states receiving benefits from the program to enact legislation that provided for the prevention of soil erosion. Since successful natural resource conservation programs depend on local involvement and ownership, the USDA developed standard legislation creating Soil Conservation Districts in each state. The purpose of the legislation was to allow SCS to provide conservation programs through Districts as a way to bridge the gap between federal government priorities and local needs. The arrangement gave both state and local government a stake in the program.
In 1946 the Windham County Natural Resources Conservation District was organized. What began as primarily an interest in soil erosion prevention now encompasses all natural resources and especially water quality. The funcion of the District is to take available technical, financial and educational resources, and focus or coordinate them so the meet the needs of the land users.